Attending college close to home may be a great option for those looking to reduce their usage of fossil fuels. The closer the school is located to home, the less gas would be used by visiting parents and family members who reside locally. Plus, commuting back and forth between home and school would be simple for students who prefer to travel by bicycle.
Below are a few great Carolinian institutions of learning located a short distance from Bicycle City in neighboring Columbia:
University of South Carolina
Distance from Bicycle City: about 12.6 miles.
- USC’s School of the Environment is ideal for students who are passionate about the environment, and interested in gaining a degree in the field of sustainability.
- USC ranked 38 out of 110 schools on the U.S. News list of “Best Colleges 2010.”
Remington College, Columbia Campus
- Remington offers degree programs in Cosmetology, Medical Billing and Coding, and Medical Assisting.
- Remington hosts several community events including free health screening days and discount hairstyling services for the elderly.
- Columbia College is a private women’s school that offers 35 undergraduate majors.
- Columbia College is located near beautiful Lake Murray. With over five hundred miles of shoreline, the nearby lake is a great place to take a break from classes to boat, swim, and fish.
- The U.S. Department of the Interior has recognized the Historic District of Allen University on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Allen University’s course options includes a number of environmentally-related areas of study including Introduction to Environmental Science, Zoology, Botany, and Ecology.
- Benedict College hosts the second largest population of undergraduate students out of South Carolina’s 20 private, post-secondary institutions.
- Benedict College is home to the award winning and nationally ranked Benedict College Gospel Choir.
Columbia International University
- CIU is a Christian school that offers numerous undergraduate and seminary programs, in addition to theological education at the graduate level.
- CIU students can take advantage of a variety of intramural and club athletics including men and women’s basketball, co-ed soccer, and co-ed ultimate Frisbee.
Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary
- The Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary offers programs in both Methodist and Baptist studies.
- This Seminary provides a Military Chaplaincy Program which allows future as well as current military chaplains to gain an education in theology.
Midlands Technical College (Airport Campus)
- Students at Midlands Technical College earn their degrees in only 2 years.
- MTC has 5 campuses, three of which are located in Columbia.
- Accounting, Business, Criminal Justice, and Public Administration are a few of Strayer’s popular degree programs.
- Strayer offers numerous online courses which offer busy, working students greater flexibility.
South University Columbia recently relocated its campus to Carolina Research Park in 2006 and now includes a new student lounge, medical lab, and spacious classrooms.
Graphic Design, Legal Studies, Health Science, and Nursing are a few highlighted undergraduate degrees.